Thursday, October 9, 2008

Senior Night with Emily - notice that Wade Brost is holding a Wheaties box with Cassie's face on it. Way fun!
Happy 12th Birthday Melissa


Proof that Melissa is 12 - the ears are pierced. Julie Ann was a great sport to do it for her.





Today was a big day in the Bernhisel household. Melissa turned 12!! No longer a little girl - and just to prove it she got her ears pierced (our family rule that they have to wait until 12 to make that choice) and she asked for an electric razor for her legs. Now I have never had something that fancy, but since that was all she asked for, we caved. So Melissa woke up early, got hooked up to her IV drugs (continuation from the hospital) and shaved her legs. Michael was pretty disgusted - as was her dad.








To continue the day, I cleaned madly because my in-laws were coming, and tried to work at the school also. School ended, I took Melissa to her "ear piercing" and we all went to Emily's volleyball game at the high school. It was Senior Night, which means all the seniors and their parents walked out on the gym floor to let others know who would be leaving soon. The game was fun to watch (I always like to see Emily kill the ball and get some awesome blocks) and then we rushed home to Melissa's birthday dinner and cake and ice cream. Whew! Lots going on here.








But through the whole day, I was very proud of myself, I never cried once. My baby is now in Young Womens, Middle School, and shaving her legs - and my Emily is one step closer to leaving me. I sure do hate "growing up" somedays. And then to top it off, Alyson called to wish her sister Happy Birthday which never felt right last year, and still doesn't feel right this year. It just seems like she should be with us-here.








Well - there are my thoughts for the evening.....hold those babies tight, they really do go way too soon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like that a lot lately and I don't have kids leaving soon or already gone. It is a scary thought for me. I'm not sure I like the whole 'grow up' thing!!
Can't you just have one stay little for ever?

John B. said...

Sometimes in my sentimental moments I wish for that too, but really one of the best feelings I ever had was seeing the look of excitement and anticipation on Alyson's face as she shut the door of her new apartment at college and I turned to go home. Not that I felt great - but I felt great for my daughter and the new life she was about to conquor. I guess you call that bitter sweet....

Tracy said...

It's good to see you didn't waste anytime getting right back into your routine!;-) 12 years of age was the rule at our house too, if fact Katie didn't get her ears pierced until a couple years ago.

There really are so many blessings in having your children grown! I miss them horribly, but the conversations with adult children and what we continue to learn from them is amazing! I'm learning every stage of life has it ups and downs, but surprisingly I'm adjusting to this stage better than I thought I would.

Get some rest and take care of yourself!!

Emily S. said...

Happy Birthday to Melissa and my mom always says Happy Day to us on my kids birthdays too!! So Happy Day to you because 12 years ago you had a wonderful baby girl and I am sure the labor was interesting and the sleepless nights followed! So happy day to you for raising such a wonderful Young Woman!!!

Emily Asay said...

Its so true--I subbed at the high school today here in Laramie and as I was watching the different kids walk the halls I thought, "Some day this will be Stetson walking the halls in high school--I better cherish my time with him and be a good mom!!" I CANNOT believe Melissa is in YW's. Shees.

Chelli said...

Well, you made me cry! Why do they have to grow up so fast. What a fun filled day you had!

Amy 'n Clint said...

When Michael was born, I remember you wanting to be with him every moment...for fear he'd grow up while you were away. Since Patrick was my first, I didn't understand it so much. Now that my BABY girl was baptized (shares Melissa's birthday!), I understand how you felt a little more.