Thursday, January 22, 2009

Todays Thoughts

Today as I was driving my daughter to yet another doctor appointment, and of course feeling a little sorry for myself and her, I heard something that made me sit up, think, and count my blessings. The radio announcer was interviewing Meredith Vierra's (the lady from the Today Show - can't spell her last name) husband about a new book he wrote. He is currently in a wheel chair and his speech is a little slurred due to multiple sclerosis. He noticed how people mistook his disease at first for drunkenness and how they acted around him, and realized that he wasn't alone out there. So he recently wrote a book about 5 people who are all dealing with chronic illnesses and how they look at life, handle their day to day care, and make a difference. It was so humbling....fascinating....inspiring....and even encouraging to hear. One person was a lady dealing with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease), another severe MD, and one other Crones disease. Just listening to a few of their day to day routines, made me grateful for the 45 min routine Melissa has to deal with twice a day. A couple of them have to plan out their days down to when they will take a drink of water so that they know someone will be with them to help them with the bathroom. Imagine! But the part that really got me....the part I already knew, but to hear that these people say it really made me think was this.....the author got all 5 people together and they told of their lives, everything...and not one person there thought they had it the worst, and not one person there would want to trade their "bag of trials" for any other persons there.
There is a children's book called Jenna and the Troublemaker. It is out of print, but I found an old one and I keep it in my desk at home. I pull it out now and then to remind myself how lucky I am and how my troubles are mine...and they are not half as bad as anyone else's. It basically tells of a little girl who is mad at the bag of troubles that she has to carry around and the "troublemaker' lets her go through everyone elses bags and pick another one to take home. In the end she chooses her own. I really believe our "troubles" are hand picked for us, that a loving Heavenly Father lets those that He knows will eventually bring us the most growth and joy enter our lives, and then we get to choose how to handle each one. I hate the saying "we'll never be given more adversity than we can handle", I'm not sure I even agree with that at some times in my life, but I do know that I am very blessed, overly blessed, and I am very grateful today for all those people in my life (friends, family, etc) who make my life great and my troubles seem small.

8 comments:

Nick and Megan Wilson said...

Thanks for the reminder Sally! It truly is an awesome feeling to know that our Heavenly Father loves us and knows us well enough to choose our trials and challenges we are capable of handling and overcoming!

Tracy said...

Trials are the hot topic lately!! I was just talking to a friend the other day and told her pretty much the same thing that you put into thoughts!! It can be so overwhelming at times to watch others and ourselves go through trials, but at the same it can be so uplifting to see the hand of our Heavenly Father in our lives and know he is there for us, if we just ask!!

I'm sorry you have to struggle through your daughter's health trials!! I can't believe you are as positive as you are, you're a GREAT example!!

{{HUGS}}

The Simmons Six said...

I want to say ditto to what Tracy said. You do handle Melissa's health issues with strength and detirmination and unwavering vigilance that I admire. Thanks for being such a great excample in so many ways.

dcalvin said...

Thanks for being willing to share your thoughts and feelings so well with the rest of us. You are an example of charity and faith to me. I need to be reminded that we are not alone to struggle and that we truly are blessed throughout our trials and because of them. You are amazing! :)

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

Sally,
Thanks for sharing this. We are so lucky to have a Heavenly Father that loves us, cares about us, and answers our prayers. I too believe that he doesn't give us trials we can't handle. My son was burned on his legs two years ago, and I have felt sorry for him and myself many times. Than I started reading the www.nieniedialogues.blogspot.com, and realized we have it pretty easy.
Since I was a little Beehive, and you were a Laurel, I have always looked up to you;)
You are such a great example.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing such a great testimony. Sometimes our trials are overwhelming but to think that our Heavenly Father knows us so well and gives us these things in our lives, just for us, makes me think how blessed we are. We know that he is there and that he helps us...always. It is amazing to me. Thanks for making me think a little today. Our Heavenly Father DOES love us!!

Unknown said...

Of course Jenna and the Troublemaker is one of my favorite books. I use it in talks and when preparing lessons, if it is appropriate. Always a good reminder. But sometimes I ask did I REALLY pick this!!!!

Patty said...

Sally, we love you and are so proud of how you and John approach the trials in your life. I have never seen more devoted parents than you. Missy is a blessing to us all and brings so much joy into our lives. How grateful we are for the doctors and knowledge we have now to help with M.S. But as you have already said, it is the caring love of our Saviour that really helps us through these trials. Love--